Monday, March 31, 2008

Trailer Mix: Summer, 2008, Part I

I don't see a whole lot of movie trailers. I don't see as many movies as I'd like, and I just don't go out of my way to watch movie trailers on Moviefone or Apple like I should. (Considering I'm a movie blogger and all.) So I sat down tonight and watch a few trailers. Here are my raw thoughts.

Speed Racer (Trailer)
This live-action update of the classic cartoon is done by the same siblings who made The Matrix franchise. But, this movie looks good! It seems to have a story, emotional interest, and perhaps a beginning, middle and end. And the movie is so colorful that it could be worth the price of admission for the visuals alone.
VERDICT: Kind of interested.

WALL•E (Trailer)
This Pixar animated feature centers around a speechless robot who becomes self aware and falls in love with our culture and finds it adoring, thus making us find him adoring. Then he goes on an adventure to wherever humans have colonized, and he is so cute and adventurous throughout, I smile when I see a trailer for this film. It looks like the most fun, genuine, heartwarming film that I'll have seen in a long time.
VERDICT: I'll be there opening weekend.

Get Smart (Trailer)
I don't expect this movie to be good. First off, it's a theatrical remake of a 1960's television series. That tends to go wrong. Secondly, the trailers have been funny. Yes, that's a problem. Because now days, all the funny stuff from a comedy is shown in the trailers. Third, the whole vibe of the movie feels too much like an American version of Johnny English. And no offense to Steve Carrell, but if Rowan Atkinson can't make the bumbling slapstick spy work today, it's hard to see how anyone can. (Plus, I kind of hated Johnny English. Like, a lot. Except for that ABBA scene, which was funny.)
VERDICT: I'll stay home and read lampooning reviews, which might be funnier!

Iron Man (Trailer)
Robert Downey Jr. makes another comeback, this time as an action hero. Goody. At least the alter-ego is a self-obsessed wisecrack, which is kind of fun to watch. Why is it fun to watch? Because everything else looks like it's not worth it. A human, flying? It looks like Jet Jaguar. The upside? Gwyneth Paltrow is in it. (Well, that's an upside for me at least.)
VERDICT: Wait for reviews.

The Happening (Trailer)
M. Night Shamalyan's latest vehicle. This time, Mark Wahlberg is his main actor, playing a science teacher who is baffled after people start dropping dead all across the nation. Well, who wouldn't be?
VERDICT: Wait for reviews, but, cautiously optimistic that it will be good.

Sex and the City (Trailer)
The "Big" HBO hit (Get it? Big? Mr. Big?) is coming to the Big Screen in a Big movie about Big things happening in Carrie's life that are BIG, like a BIG wedding to Mr. Big! But then, someone runs away? And the women eat ice cream in Central Park? I... don't know what happens in this movie, and the trailer was long, too. I've never seen the show, and I think it's a movie only for fans of the show. Thank goodness, though, this isn't a Lipstick Jungle movie.
VERDICT: Unless I have to see it on a date, I'll pass.

No comments: